When you mix and match home décor there shouldn’t be a theme. Having a theme keeps you limited. One of the best ways to mix and match décor is that items are alike but not the same. Your home’s style needs to say who you are – you and your family are unique. Matching-matching is not a great style. Matching is too uniform and doesn’t tell your story or promote visual interest.
Here are 4 tips for mixing and matching decorating styles successfully in Tucson, Arizona:
Tip #1 is: the 80/20 rule. What does that mean? It means you have a main character and a supporting role! The main style that you love is your main character and will be 80% of your design. The remaining 20% is the supporting style. So how do you figure this out? We’re not talking about eclectic, traditional, or mid-century modern per se. It’s about what you love and what you currently have in your home. Do you have a favorite piece in your favorite room? Pick a piece from a couple different rooms and notice your favorite textures, colors, fabrics, and shapes. Do you have a favorite dresser from your grandmother that was in her bedroom on the farm (antique or vintage)? It evokes emotions because you loved grandma but also because you love the serenity of country living. It would be safe to say that the country farm style is your 80% and effective simplicity with warm tones and textures is your 20%.
Tip #2 is: understanding balance. This isn’t physics, but close. Your space’s visual weight must be distributed equally, and everything gets a buddy! Does this mean decorate by two’s? No. It means if your favorite light blue throw has a happy home on your Neval sectional (by Rowe/Robin Bruce) then any lamp or piece of art will need to be light blue as well. They are buddies! Another way to group items would be that the wood tones match throughout the space, or the shape of the furniture is the same.
Tip #3 is: the focal point should be the odd ball! Sounds funny, we know, but it’s true. Have fun with this one. It could be large artwork, tapestry, mirror or lighting.
We would be thrilled to help you select the perfect pieces for your décor style. Mixing and matching is what we do, and we’d love to share our expertise and more tips with you. Come check out our unique variety! See you soon at Nest in the Desert in Oro Valley, Arizona.